More and more airlines are trying to show their customers their ability to understand their needs, the market trends and the importance of technology in their lives. In response to the rapid development of the consumer electronics, the airline companies focus their attention on offering their customers the possibility to book a flight or check-in using a smartphone, spend time watching movies or be connected to the internet during the flight. Customers search for airlines who are more ”tech-geek” and opened to new technologies, which allows them to rate the airline companies through apps or connect more often with the airline through social-media. Technology has become an important part in developing and marketing the airline services for a better quality, more customer-focused and for better flight experience which ultimately makes the difference when choosing to fly an airline company.
Keywordsairlines aviation customer loyalty customer personalization inflight-entertainment passengers
JEL Classification M31
- Dennett, C., et al., 2000. Pre-bookable services in the chartered airline industry: increasing satisfaction through differentiation, Journal: The Service Industries Journal, 20 (2) pp.82-94
- Parasuraman, A., Zeithaml, V.A., Berry, L. L., 1994. Reassessment of expectations as a comparison in measuring service quality: implication for further research. Journal of Marketing, 58(1), pp.111-124
- Zeithaml, V.A. and Bitner, M.J., 1996. Services Marketing, New York, NY: McGraw-Hill
- Saha G.C, and Theingi, 2009. Service quality, satisfaction, and behavioral intentions: A study of low-cost airline carriers in Thailand. Managerial Service Quality. 19 (3), pp. 350 – 372
- Zeithaml, V.A., Bitner, M.J., and Gremler, D., 2009Services Marketing, New York, NY: McGraw-Hill
- Dresner, M., and Xu, K., 1995. Customer Service, Customer Satisfaction and Corporate Performance in the Service Sector, Journal of Business Logistics, Vol. 16(1), pp. 23-40.
- Saha, G.C., and Theingi, 2009. Service quality, satisfaction, and behavioural intentions. A study of low-cost airline carriers in Thailand. Managing Service Quality., Vol.19 (3), pp.350-372.
- Ostrowski, P. L., O'Brien, T., and Gordon, G., 1993, Service quality and customer loyalty in the commercial airline industry. Journal of Travel Research, Vol. 32, pp.16-24.
- Chang, Y., and Keller, M. R., 2002. A survey analysis of service quality for domestic airlines , European Journal of Operational Research, Vol. 139, pp. 166-177.
- Andreassen, T.W., and Lindestad, B., 1998. Customer Loyalty and Complex Services: The impact of corporate image on quality, customer satisfaction and loyalty for customers with varying degrees of service expertise. International Journal of Service Industry Management. Vol. 9 (1), pp. 7-23.
- Airlinetrends. 2013. How new technologies are improving the onboard passengers experience. Available online at: http://www.airlinetrends.com/2013/06/17/how-new-technologies-are-improving-the-onboard-passenger-experience/ (accessed 10 December 2013)
- Airlinetrends. 2013. Airlines let flyers download IFE content to their personal device before the flight. Available online at: http://www.airlinetrends.com/2013/05/13/airlines-preflight-ife-content/ (accessed 10 October 2013)
- Airlinetrends. 2013. Airlines embrace their inner tech-geek. Available online at: http://www.airlinetrends.com/2013/05/05/airline-marketing-airlines-embrace-their-inner-tech-geek/ (accessed 9 October 2013)
- Airlinetrends. 2013. Trends in consumer electronics drive innovations in inflight entertainment. Available online at: http://www.airlinetrends.com/2011/04/18/consumer-electronics-inflight-entertainment/ (accessed 9 October 2013)
- SITA. 2013. Passenger IT trends survey 2013. Consumer mobile innovation takes center stage. Available online at: http://www.sita.aero/surveys-reports/industry-surveys-reports/passenger-it-trends-survey-2013/ (accessed 10 October 2013)
- Bloomberg. 2013. IAG Discount arm Vueling to tap premium market via Wi-Fi rollout. Available online at: http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-11-14/iag-discount-arm-vueling-to-tap-premium-market-via-wi-fi-rollout.html / (accessed 10 October 2013)
- The Sydney Morning Herald Traveller. 2013. Qantas scraps inflight Wi-Fi plans. Available online at: http://www.smh.com.au/travel/travel-news/qantas-scraps-inflight-wifi-plans-20121204-2as2i.html / (accessed 10 October 2013)