Marketing has acquired a central role in tourism because it helps organizations to create value in transactions with buyers. Thus, this important area of any business process is used to educate consumers, to add value to their experience in tourism, and to seek new ways to reward loyalty through innovative schemes (e.g., programs for frequent travelers). This paper presents the examination of the responses of 154 tourists in relation to their intention to purchase a travel package and the factors that are usually decisive in the decision making process regarding tourism services, factors that could also create the loyalty that any tourism enterprise can create through marketing.
Keywordsconsumer behavior determinants customer loyalty multiple linear regression purchase intention
JEL Classification M31
- Alegre, J., Cladera, M., 2006. Repeat visitation in mature sun and sand holiday destinations. Journal of Travel Research,Vol. 44,Issue 3, pp.288–297.
- Chen, J.S., Gursoy, D., 2001. An investigation of tourists’ destination loyalty and preferences. International Journal of Contemporary Hospitality Management, Vol. 13, Issue 2, pp.79–85
- Christopher, M., Payne A., Ballantyne, D., 1994. Relationship marketing: bringing quality, customer service, and marketing together (in Spanish). Ediciones Diaz de Santos, Madrid.
- Fyall, A., Callod, C., Edwards, B., 2004. Relationship marketing, the challenge for destinations. International Journal of Hospitality Management, Vol. 23, Issue 5, pp. 425–447
- Grönroos C. 1999. Relationship marketing: challenges for the organization. Journal of Business Research Vol. 46, Issue 3, pp 327–33.5
- Hunt, S.D., Morgan, R.M., 1994. Relationship marketing in the area of network competition. The Journal of Marketing, Vol. 58, Issue 3, pp. 20–38
- Malhotra, N. K.; Birks, D. F., 2007. Marketing Research- An Applied Approach, Harlow, England: Pretince Hall.
- Payne A., 2000. Relationship marketing, the U.K. perspective. In: Sheth JN, Parvatiyar A (eds) Handbook of relationship marketing. Sage, California.
- Riley, M., Niininen, O., Szivas, E., Willis, T., 2001. The case for process approaches in loyalty research in tourism, International Journal of Tourism Research, Vol. 3, Issue 1, pp. 23–32.
- Swarbrooke, J., Beard, C., Leckie, S. and Pomfret, G., 2003. Adeventure Tourism- The New Frontier. Butterwork-Heinemann.
- Swarbrooke, J., Horner, S., 2007. Consumer Behaviour in Tourism –2nd Edition, Oxford: Butterworth Heinemann.
- Yoon, Y., Uysal, M., 2005. An examination of the effects of motivation and satisfaction on destination loyalty: a structural model. Tourism Management, 26, pp.45–56.